Glenburn is a town in Penobscot County, Maine, United States. The population was 4,594 at the 2010 census. When originally incorporated in 1822, it was called “Dutton” in honor of Bangor’s Samuel Dutton, a judge and founder of the Bangor Theological Seminary. It was renamed the Town of Glenburn on March 18, 1837.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 29.15 square miles (75.50 km), of which, 27.19 square miles (70.42 km) of it is land and 1.96 square miles (5.08 km) is water.
The two historic centers are the villages of Glenburn and West Glenburn. It is bordered on the north by Hudson, on the east by Old Town, on the south by Orono, on the south by Bangor, on the southwest by Hermon and on the west by Kenduskeag.
As of the census of 2010, there were 4,594 people, 1,808 households, and 1,300 families residing in the town. The population density was 169.0 inhabitants per square mile (65.3/km). There were 2,018 housing units at an average density of 74.2 per square mile (28.6/km). The racial makeup of the town was 97.1% White, 0.4% African American, 0.7% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 0.1% from other races, and 1.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.4% of the population.
There were 1,808 households of which 33.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.8% were married couples living together, 8.6% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 28.1% were non-families. 18.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 2.88.
The median age in the town was 41.2 years. 22.1% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 25.8% were from 25 to 44; 33.6% were from 45 to 64; and 10.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the town was 49.4% male and 50.6% female.